When I posted a photo of a Great Blue Heron, a friend said that it looked under-exposed. I said it that was intentional because I was trying to avoid glare from the water. Later I got a free set of 190 Lightroom (LR) presets from onOne Software and I decided to experiment with them. A LR preset defines development settings like tone, contrast, saturation, and all the other values that you may adjust with sliders. This is different from the filters in Photoshop where an algorithm is applied to a photo to produce a desired effect such as “oil painting”.
Here is the original photo. I’ve cropped and resized it, and have converted it from RAW to JPEG, but I have not adjusted any settings. The wings are ok, but the bird’s bill blends in with the water.
My original processing lightened everything.
The first preset is called Dark Side, Light. It kept everything dark and used a small (light) amount of tweaking.
Old Style 2 removed some color from the photo. There is not enough contrast between the heron’s body and the dark water.
Under Tint, Daylight removed more color and lightened the photo. The heron’s distinctive blue coloring is almost gone, but now it stands out better against the water.
B&W 3a converted the photo to B&W, then added a tint. It’s a nice vintage effect, but the bill is getting lost in the water again.
I manually converted the photo to B&W. I like everything except the bill, which needs some emphasis.
After playing with the presets, I processed the photo manually again. I used the Camera Vivid profile to bring out the blue wings and yellow bill. An ornithologist may be unhappy with the heron’s coloring, but my goal is to make a nice photo, not to be biologically accurate.
What I learned from this experiment is sometimes you can change a photo in an unexpected way. Presets are an easy way to try a variety of settings on a photo quickly and easily. I’ve found a few presets that I like a lot, and I’ll use them as the starting point for my processing. Eventually I may create my own presets.